The backward state of Texas

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 15 09:01:31 PDT 2000

JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:

>And elsewhere. He has written a book attacking the US Constitution asa
>reactionary document, arguing that it makes our society reactionary, rather
>than vice versa.

That's a bit unfair. He argues that the structure of government set up by the Constitution is fundamentally antidemocratic, and consciously so: fragmentation of sovereignty via the three branches and the multiplicity of subfederal jurisdictions, the antidemocratic reliance of liberals on courts rather than popular mobilization, and the structural obstacle that is the Senate.

Doug