Law & Medicine & Intellectuals (was Re: geels)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 15 15:42:32 PDT 2000

>>CB: Makes a lot of sense to me. The dialectics of the alienation
>>and reification skill.
>
>yeah, but chuck's focus was, intially, the luser not the employee.
>and that's where the problem lies in his analysis because to take it
>seriously we'd all have to start baking our own bread and sewing our
>own cloths and pounding our laundry on rocks by the river. and, if
>not that extreme, then chuck would expect us all to want to know and
>care about every technological thing we use: cars, microwaves,
>lights, televisions, phones, vcrs, answering machines. and that is
>a little bit dippy because chaz baby, then we wouldn't have time to
>advance free love as the corollary part of the coming revo! :)
>
>more seriously, look at in the context of the legal profession. is
>the answer to clients' ignorance about the law, to take it all into
>their own hands so they understand the law and be able to use it to
>their own advantage? will they then have control over it? more
>freedom?
>
>kelley

On general principles, I agree with Kelley, in that we don't have time to keep up with every innovation in every science & technology. There are some exceptions, though. Earlier, you mentioned Talcott Parson's idea of "the sick role" in the course of discussion on anti-depressants. One thing that I was going to say (but didn't get around to saying it) is that Parsons' study of "the sick role" does not fit chronic illnesses (such as clinical depression) very well. Those who have chronic illnesses and permanent disabilities tend to become more knowledgeable about their own illnesses & disabilities and often about the practice of medicine in general also, sometimes their knowledge surpassing run-of-the-mill medical practitioners (e.g., Carrol, Marta Russell). They might build an activist movement, beginning with particular issues & expanding from them (e.g., the movement of persons with disabilities, ACT-UP, etc.). In such cases, Parsons' functionalist framework breaks down.

Also, sometimes prisoners become very well versed in law, some of them becoming prison lawyers & prisoners' rights activists.

One might analyze this phenomenon by combining Gramsci's comments on organic intellectuals & Foucault's remarks on specific intellectuals.

Yoshie