Seattle in Australia

Reese reeza at flex.com
Sat Sep 16 01:20:33 PDT 2000

>====

>CP of Australia, DAY2 WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM - POLICE VIOLENCE

>From: Communist Party of Australia, Tue, 12 Sep 2000

>http://www.cpa.org.au, <cpa at cpa.org.au>

>Day One of the World Economic Forum - Melbourne. (September 11th)

>THE PEOPLE UNITED DISRUPT THE WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM

>The people won a significant victory over corporate power in Melbourne

>today, disrupting a meeting of the World Economic Forum and preventing over

>one third of the delegates from getting into the venue.

<snip>

I don't want to be the dour voice of pessimism here, but, so what? And, what significant victory?

Were telecommunications disrupted? Was email out of the "convention" center blocked? Were those in attendance brain-wiped upon exiting the building?

I could paint an analogy of mosquitoes, or horseflies even, relating to others of their ilk (sorry dd) on how they really got some attention, a tail was swished at them. 1 or 2 or 10 or 10,000 more bites like that, the source will be stumbling and then *horrors* a new enemy/food source must be located.

But that would be crude, the underlying point stands:

Disrupting conventions is hogwash, change the politicians to bring about real change.