Seattle in Australia

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Sat Sep 16 07:58:43 PDT 2000

G'day Reese,

>Disrupting conventions is hogwash, change the politicians to bring about
>real change.

Not sure about this, Reese. We've all sorts of politicians in our parliament, but they're all pretty well saying the same thing (parroting the glib aphorisms of Davos Man, natch). The reason the media are suddenly talking about the problems inherent in contemporary globalisation (as opposed to the myriad other forms it could take) is that they're there to reflect demonstrably held views. And the good thing about large demonstrations is that they demonstrably reflect demonstrably widespread views. Thus, if we're lucky (and if we learn to counter Hill & Knowlton with some good mutually reinforcing soundbites of our own), the media actually spread the word. When that begins to happen (and these things originate only, it seems, outside the clammy paternalistic clutches of our institutions), well, then maybe a union or two might contribute some weight. Maybe a church or two. And then, and only then, might a political party notice. And then you get a whole heap of politicians all at once.

We have to be careful with this stuff, though, because we could easily lurch from neoliberal wasteland to xenophobically antagonistic uncritically protectionistic, and militaristic reaction. Most of the demonstrators aren't saying that at all, but some in the media, and at least one of our political parties, are reading the sentiments just so.

Democracy in globalisation, and a new institutional setting (ie outside the WTO and WIPO) capable of delivering some - that's what people are demonstrating for! So there's a little balance where it's most needed (especially in the fields of environmental and social policy ). I'm not saying such a balance is achievable in light of today's power relations and its expression as the 'shareholder-value' imperative. But, right now, it's the only game in town, I reckon. If a large enough social phenomenon comes out of this, well, then maybe the game takes on a more revolutionary hue ... I dunno. But that's for later.

Cheers, Rob.