Law & Medicine & Intellectuals (was Re: geels)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 17 13:08:42 PDT 2000

kelley wrote:

> well, criminy, let's say it costs as much as a visit to the doctor. the
> kid's visit recently cost $40 for about an hr. of the dude's time. so,
> 160$/week? and i know we're probably talking a lot more money, more like
> 75-$100/hr yes?

My psychiatrist charges me $71 for about a 10 minute visit (every two or three months) to check my prescriptions. My insurance pays 50% of that (there is a fight on for parity for psychiatric services but it's not going anyplace). The insurer is hassling me currently about taking Celexa rather than a "traditional" (and cheaper) med such as Prozac or Zoloft (which make me itch). I see my therapist about every three weeks; I make a copayment of $15 and insurance pays her $70. My insurance is better than most for psychiatric services.

Cost is not the primary question though -- the primary issue is whether psychoanalysis as treatment differs appreciably from placebos, non- psychoanaltic therapy, or just wating for the depressive attack to go away. *Usually* a given seige only lasts two or three months, regardless of treatment or non-treatment. Talking to anyone who isn't an asshole will almost always help some. Letters after his/her name probably intensify the placebo effect.

Carrol