Law & Medicine & Intellectuals (was Re: geels)

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Sep 18 06:32:28 PDT 2000

Gordon:
> >But it may be that many of the un- and semi-insured evaluate
> >the medical care establishment (MCE) differently and make an
> >intelligent guess that it isn't worth the money for them.

Yoshie Furuhashi:
> Perhaps, but this is an empirically unproven hypothesis, and class
> tends to the most important determinant of your health.

Quite so. I don't have the resources to do meaningful research into public attitudes about these matters and I wrote based on anecdotal evidence. However, the material I responded to, and similar material I have seen elsewhere, makes even broader and less empirical assumptions about what people get, and what they want, from existing and hypothesized medical care and insurance system. In addition, my observations correspond to the curious failure of single-payer to become an advantageous political issue for leftish politicians, so I think it would behoove someone to look into it.