Wuxtree! Broadsheet turns tabloid!

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Mon Sep 18 08:39:03 PDT 2000

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Carl Remick wrote:

> The NY Times' shift from the pursed-lipped pompousness of many decades'
> standing to a weirdly *prurient* pretentiousness now continues apace.
> The lead story in today's NYT "Week in Review" section focuses on the NYT's
> Pulitzer-Prize-caliber discovery that American teenagers have significant
> impact on the nation's culture as a whole.

It's like Beckett, you know. "Ah the old questions, the old answers, there's nothing like them!" says Hamm to Clov at one point. All repressive ideologies celebrate the past, because they have no future. Also, check out the story on teenagers and videogames, where the author notes that the biggest-selling games aren't Doom and Unreal Tournament but Frogger, etc. (Doom came out in 1993, for Pete's sake... where does the Times *find* these reporters, anyway?).

Weird as it sounds, I find the cluelessness of the Times somehow reassuring. It's out of such Soviet-sized rifts between We the People and the verminous minions of Capital that revolutions are made.

-- Dennis