Law & Medicine & Intellectuals (was Re: geels)

Barry Rene DeCicco bdecicco at umich.edu
Mon Sep 18 12:09:56 PDT 2000

> From: Gordon Fitch <gcf at panix.com>

> In addition, my observations correspond to
> the curious failure of single-payer to become an advantageous
> political issue for leftish politicians, so I think it would
> behoove someone to look into it.

[Warning - inconsistency alert, for those who just read my comment on Krugman in my last post. I actually find a lot of good comments in his writings; I just get irritated when he seems to be jotting off 'wise remarks' on a napkin while waiting for his dinner, after killing a bottle of wine.]

He put it the most eloquently of any writer that I've seen mention this aspect of Americans. To the best of my memory:

Start:

Americans are strange. Most of them have far more chance of needing the social safety net than of becoming independently wealthy, but they tend to vote as if the chances were reversed.

End.

Barry