Law & Medicine & Intellectuals (was Re: geels)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Sep 18 12:52:36 PDT 2000

> > From: Gordon Fitch <gcf at panix.com>
> > In addition, my observations correspond to
> > the curious failure of single-payer to become an advantageous
> > political issue for leftish politicians, so I think it would
> > behoove someone to look into it.
>
>[Warning - inconsistency alert, for those who just read my
>comment on Krugman in my last post. I actually find a lot
>of good comments in his writings; I just get irritated when
>he seems to be jotting off 'wise remarks' on a napkin while waiting
>for his dinner, after killing a bottle of wine.]
>
>He put it the most eloquently of any writer that I've seen mention
>this aspect of Americans. To the best of my memory:
>
>Start:
>
>Americans are strange. Most of them have far more chance of
>needing the social safety net than of becoming independently wealthy,
>but they tend to vote as if the chances were reversed.
>
>End.
>
>Barry

Liberal & well-meaning John Rawls might have thought that "the veil of ignorance" could help Americans use reason constructively & arrive consensually at a notion of redistributive justice that would strengthen "Great Society" programs & social-democratize America, but evidently it didn't catch on.

The material & ideological power of capital is the strongest in the belly of the beast. Perhaps, being the most powerful empire & global guarantor of capitalism and being social democratic in European fashion are mutually exclusive (the UK, the global hegemon before the USA, is also the least social democratic among West European powers; in fact, some of the English don't want to be part of Europe). Besides, racism is not compatible with universal programs.

Americans lost a couple of chances to lay the groundwork for social democracy: black reconstruction after the civil war & mass mobilization during the Great Depression. In 1947 any hope for social democracy in America got buried. And now we are seeing the Endgame of social democracy in the Third Way (with Green scissors in Germany) in Europe.

Yoshie