Gore Vidal on the US election

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 20 07:59:05 PDT 2000

[From today's Salon. Full text at http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2000/09/20/vidal/print.html]

"The great scandal today is we're still a militarized economy, 51 percent of the budget goes for the Pentagon for procurement, and there is no enemy; and they're asking for another $60 billion over the next decade. This is the scandal, and this is what they should be talking about. Instead we talk about the debates, and we talk about did one of the candidates ever take cocaine; it's an enormous absurdity, and all of this money is being spent on media to avoid talking about real subjects, because government is nothing more than who collects what money to pay for what for whom. It's as simple as that. We're the only civilized country that does not have national health. We have the worst public educational system of any first world country -- the worst ... What I'm now talking about should be discussed by the two boys, and they're never going to mention any of it."

Carl