Gore Vidal on the US election

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Sep 20 09:21:03 PDT 2000

[From today's Salon. Full text at http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2000/09/20/vidal/print.html]

"The great scandal today is we're still a militarized economy, 51 percent of the budget goes for the Pentagon for procurement . . .

Actually it's less than three percent, but let's not quibble. If he means all defense spending, it's 16 percent. I like Gore Vidal, even if he can't count.

", and there is no enemy; and they're asking for another $60 billion over the next decade. . . . "

I would be overjoyed to learn that $60 billion was the most DoD got over its present budget over the next ten years.

By contrast, the projected surplus over the same period WILL BE OVER FIVE TRILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!

mbs