newspapers

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 20 09:38:56 PDT 2000

Lisa & Ian Murray wrote:

>11. The Left Business Observer is read by the people who should never be
>allowed to run any country

...unless they want to run it into the ground.

Back during the '92 campaign, I ran into Andy Kopkind after a Jerry Brown rally in New York (a rally at which the Ramones provided musical entertainment, during which Joey Ramone declared: "I never fucking voted for anyone in my fucking life, but I'm fucking voting for fucking Jerry Brown, man!"). Andy, who along with colleague Alexander Cockburn was touting Jerry in the pages of The Nation at the time, told me (quoted from memory, sorry): "I don't like Jerry Brown. Never did. If by some accident he got the nomination, it would destroy the Democratic Party, and if by some accident he got elected president, he'd destroy the country. That's why I'm supporting him."

Doug