geeks

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 23 06:51:02 PDT 2000

>Take something simple like dress code. I work for an ancient
>manufacturing company. Very "old school", powerful old men in expensive
>dark suits running things, etc. Two years ago they instituted a new dress
>code, business casual all year. Do you think this had anything to do with
>losing sales talent to competitors without dress codes? Of course not,
>this is hackerdom breaking the rules, and the company changing the rules.
>A simple example of course, but it illustrates how the world is changing
>in subtle ways.

And getting even worse. Whoop-de-doo, I can wear chinos and a sportshirt in the office now but had to wear a suit and tie 20 years ago. Of course, 20 years ago I wasn't expected to work til 3 a.m. or all weekend because of "urgent" project work. This trade-off doesn't seem to bother the younger people I work with (I'm 50) at all. To me, they seem like the most deluded generation in history.