geeks

Tom Mackey dubiousclarity at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 23 09:00:01 PDT 2000

From: Matt Cramer <cramer at unix01.voicenet.com>

> What about the de-professionalization of the workplace, attributed to the
> hacker. Take something simple like dress code.

Not much of a hacker victory there. I can wear my casual clothes to the office, but then I bring the office home with me --via my pager cellphone, palmpilot, laptop. I would say that casual dress is just symptomatic of the incursion of company life into personal life. That is, it's not a liberation. Just the opposite. The so-called de- professionalization of the workplace is really the professionalization of the home -- and everyplace else, for that matter!