[fla-left] [news] Study: States Without Death Penalty Have Lower Homicide...

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Sat Sep 23 18:38:37 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/23/00 6:35:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us writes:

<< ``I think Michigan made a wise decision 150 years ago,'' said the

> state's Republican governor, John Engler. Michigan abolished the death

> penalty in 1846 and has resisted attempts to reinstate it. ``We're

> pretty proud of the fact that we don't have the death penalty,'' Engler

> said, adding that he is opposed to the death penalty on moral and

> pragmatic grounds.

> Engler said he is not swayed by polls that show 60 percent of Michigan

> residents favor the death penalty. He said 100 percent would like not to

> pay taxes. >>

I'll be damned (very likely in any event). Engler's pretty much a creep, but you can't tell about some Midwestern Republican govs. Ryan of Illinois is of course leading the wave on the death penalty. He is also pro-choice and antigun, unlike his losing Democratic opponent, who was pro-labor, but also prodeath, anti-choice, and pro-gun.

Engler also got rid of property tax financing of public schools.

--jks