Spying on anti-globalisation networks

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Sat Sep 23 19:15:21 PDT 2000

Surveillance and Repression: Remedies not Rumors

Repression against political activists is a serious topic, but the article circulated on the internet as a "Report on Federal Anti-Activist Intelligence Network" is neither informative nor constructive. This article is primarily a rewrite of a speculative newsletter article based on an unnamed source. In short, it is rumor. Furthermore, it leaves the impression that the US government has a vast domestic intelligence operation that is able to spy on every activist, which is false and could scare people away from activism.

There is government and private surveillance of activists, and there is political repression; but the point of anti-repression research is to help activists understand how to overcome it and move forward, as have all previous political and social movements. None of this is new, none of it should intimidate people from being activists. Scary stories, especially ones without proper documentation, damage our ability to build strong movements for social and economic fairness.

The most recent news reports about government misconduct against demonstrators at the summer Philadelphia Republican Party convention points to state and local police obtaining a search warrant using allegations from a private right-wing group with historic ties to the FBI. Privatization of many surveillance and planning functions became a major factor after the FBI's COINTELPRO operations were exposed in the media and congressional hearings in the 1970s.

For sensible and useful information on how activists can overcome surveillance and repression; including articles on history and theory, visit:

http://www.publiceye.org/liberty/Security_for_Activists.htm

Chip Berlet