Request for Source on Upcoming Book

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Mon Sep 25 12:59:22 PDT 2000

OK, but if you have relinquished your freedom, how can you complain about having it curtailed? Particularly if the issue is whether the government can regulate the speech or activity, which is the first amendment question. With classified research, that question has been settled. The research is already regulated.

At a debate during the Nuclear free zone campaign in 1984 I asked Carl Cohen, an infamous Commentary type and a philosopher--though not, we used to insist, in the U-Mich. philosophy dep't, and who was running this line,w hether he thought it was OK to jail or execute people who gave nuclear secrets to the Russians, like--I sais arguendo--the Rosenbergs. Of course, he said. Good, I'm glad we agree, I said (also arguaendo), and we agree that classified weapons reserach can be proscribed. Now, I said, the issue isn't freedom, but the type of proscription.

We still lost.

--jks