Spreading rumors

J Cullen jcullen at austin.rr.com
Fri Sep 29 12:06:49 PDT 2000

>Is that right? I'd heard that ... rumor ... but no specifics.
>CK

Apparently Editor/Publisher Bruce Anderson doesn't think much of journalistic conventions. But at least it appears that nowadays he is ripping off real articles.

See "The Hoax Habit at the Anderson Valley Advertiser" http://www.pacificsites.com/~bari/bosco.htm, regarding how in 1988 Anderson fabricated an interview with a California congressman making incendiary remarks about his constituents, sourced it to a Des Moines Register reporter, and insisted for a couple days after publication that the story was authentic despite the Register's disavowals. Apparently he occasionally will run a hoax story to keep his readers on their toes.

-- Jim Cullen