post S26

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 29 11:16:24 PDT 2000

Lisa & Ian Murray wrote:

>I contacted our old friend Rakesh [who's busy working on his dissertation]
>on what he thought of IMF/WB closing shop early and here's his response.
>
>>Hey Rakesh,
>>
>>Now that the IMF/WB have tucked their tails between their legs, what's
>next?
>
>Ian, I am not getting your meaning here. What have the IMF/WB surrendered
>on?
>Are they going to forgive loans, not make the South Korean population
>cover private loans gone bad, put themselves up for crimes against
>humanity?
>======
>Clearly, the hard work is just getting started........

Yes, but the big boys are a bit shaken. Cover stories in Biz Week and the Economist arguing why "globalization" is good, day after day of WB press releases disguised as news stories appearing in the NYT, Wolfie's rhetoric sometimes sounding like a 50 Years manifesto. Yeah, there's a lot of work to do, but it's good news that their confidence seems to be shaken.

Doug