Anarchist diatribe on Naomi Klein + what's so bad?

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 08:32:38 PDT 2000

In message <39D4ACBB.EEB26569 at tao.ca>, Chuck0 <chuck at tao.ca> writes

>> Yes. I don't know where you live, but here in D.C. (Arlington) you see
>> lots of working class folks driving SUVs. I live in an apartment complex
>> that is working class and predominantly Latino and I see SUVs parked all
>> over the place. I just moved across town this sumemr from College Park
>> and the working class folks out there drove them too.
>>
>> I used to think that SUVs were only driven by Yuppie scum, but earlier
>> this year it dawned on me that the SUV is the station wagon of the
>> 90s/OOs.

Maybe it is *because* the SUV is driven by working class people that it is so despised. I have to note that the anti-car campaign obviously gets stronger the more people own cars. In the British context that means that the anti-car campaign only really took hold when the majority of people had access to a car, as ownership ceased to be the preserve of the well-to-do. In the main it is the large increase in women car owners that has democratised car use. What is known here pejoratively as the school-run particularly incenses anti-car protesters, because mothers have the temerity to run their children to school. -- James Heartfield

Great Expectations: the creative industries in the New Economy is available from Design Agenda, 4.27 The Beaux Arts Building, 10-18 Manor Gardens, London, N7 6JT Price 7.50 GBP + 1GBP p&p