LBO-Talk = the W.W.F.? (was Re: Spreading rumors)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 30 09:28:17 PDT 2000

> > >From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

>are
> > >
> > >Kelley, you make it sound as if LBO-talk were the W.W.F.!
> >
> > Yeah, as if! At least the WWF's able to connect with the public,
>something
> > that the LBO list would seem incapable of doing ;-)
>
>Carl, this is something like saying that that quantum mechanics doesn't
>help one to repair an electric stove. ...
>I am aware that you put a smiley at the end of your post -- but
>actually I think it's a rather poor joke. It really is important that
>we keep clear in our minds the different levels of discourse. To
>demand that posts on this list "reach the public" would make
>them actually useless for reaching the public.
>
>Carrol

But I don't see any way of downloading the lofty insights of this imperious level of discourse into the domain of "duh people," to pay the American voter the respect he/she merits. This is a pity because -- and I speak as someone more permabearish than ever -- I see growing trials for global capitalism in the offing and think it would be great if the left had some usable messages and tactics on hand to win support as the public increasingly recognizes the fatal flaws of the Third Way.