LBO-Talk = the W.W.F.? (was Re: Spreading rumors)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 30 10:15:46 PDT 2000

Carl Remick wrote:

> But I don't see any way of downloading the lofty insights of this imperious
> level of discourse into the domain of "duh people," to pay the American
> voter the respect he/she merits.

Three points.

Do you expect the workers in a munitions plant to fire off therir own ammunition during their lunch break? It is bizarre to expect a maillist to be an agitational medium.

Secondly, I suspect that perhaps you have never actually done any agitational work (organized rallies, written and distributed leaflets, built picket lines and written the leaflets or pamphlets for their use). If you had you would know that in doing such work one *must* have access to published material which itself would be useless for that purpose. For a really effective anti-war demonstration or strike-support rally one would in fact probably need to have access to rather *more* complicated material than is available on this list -- one would have to read 10 or 12 issues (say) of lbo and some of the more complicated material referred to but not developed in those issues.

Thirdly. Who said anything about that 45% or so of the population that vote in presidential elections -- at least 2/3rds of whom had made up their minds before they were born. We are talking about people, not merely voters.

Carrol