(no subject)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 1 17:57:53 PDT 2001

LeoCasey at aol.com wrote (quoting Carrol Cox):

><< We are focusing on the Brown rather than the Duke episode because the
>political importance of the latter is trivial, while the latter raises the
>whole question of the relationship of white radicals to the black liberation
>struggle.
>
>And to repeat, since the Horowitz ad did not even make a good pretence of
>being a serious argument, to respond to it as if it were would be simply to
>acknowlege the legitimacy of racial harassment and the illegitimacy of blacks
>responding effectively to such harassment. >>
>

>I was under the impression that Doug had called this particular debate to a
>halt. Now some may like the idea of debating with no one to respond to them,
>but it does seem to violate the spirit of what we are said to do here
>together.

Yeah, I thought the Brown thing had really exhausted its possibilities, though Chris Kromm's question was a good one. I'm guessing that there were more than a few black students involved at Duke, so the question of "blackness" is kind of irrelevant. Add to this the vast number of black Democrats who would disagree strongly with Carrol's position on the Democratic Party, and I suspect that he chooses which black positions are the "authentic" ones, and chooses to follow them. So his notion of white radicals taking a cue from black political actions is a bit strange, isn't it?

Doug