European protectionism

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 01:19:39 PDT 2001

In message <p05010401b6ed452319ed@[166.84.250.86]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes to the effect that I am mistaken in doubting the link between CJD and BSE. One should bear in mind that the proponents of the BSE-CJD hypothesis were in 1993 predicting a death rate in the tens of thousands in 'the next ten years'. Well there's still three years to go, but so far the cumulative total has only just got into three figures, making it about as common as necrotising fasciitis (that's the 'flesh eating bug' to you) or spontaneous combustion.

Doug quotes a government source

>Best tell the Centers for Disease Control, which says
><http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/cjd/bse_cjd.htm>:
>
>>Since 1996, evidence has been increasing for a causal relationship
>>between
>BSE and nvCJD

Other strongly held beliefs of the British authorities:

That NATO is a peace-keeping body;

That too many foreigners will upset the British way of life;

That her pre-eminence in creative industries will make Britain the design studio of the world;

That crime is rampant. -- James Heartfield