European protectionism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 2 06:15:38 PDT 2001

James Heartfield wrote:

>Doug quotes a government source
>
>>Best tell the Centers for Disease Control, which says
>><http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/cjd/bse_cjd.htm>:
>>
>>>Since 1996, evidence has been increasing for a causal relationship
>>>between
>>BSE and nvCJD
>
>Other strongly held beliefs of the British authorities:
>
>That NATO is a peace-keeping body;
>
>That too many foreigners will upset the British way of life;
>
>That her pre-eminence in creative industries will make Britain the
>design studio of the world;
>
>That crime is rampant.

When it comes to imperialism, imperialist governments lie a lot; it's in the interest of the state and the class it works for. I don't see what the U.S. government would gain by lying about BSE/nvCJD. About the last thing U.S. capital or its political class would like is a British-style beef panic. Or maybe I'm wrong - what interest would be served by a crisis in the U.S. food industry? Is George W Bush secretly a member of PETA?

For someone who professes a great belief in science, James, you're very selective about which scientific evidence you'll believe.

Doug