European protectionism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 2 08:40:15 PDT 2001

James Heartfield wrote:

>By all means let's go into the mechanics of how panics happen. But don't
>just rubbish anything that disturbs the received opinion of the moment.
>By that method, you would have taken the Soviet Threat as good coin,
>before asking what was driving the Cold War.

The USSR was a threat to U.S. domination of the world. The internal Communist movement was once a threat to American capitalism. People may valorize that threat in different ways - myself, though no fan of the USSR, I miss having something to counter U.S. power and to support Third World revolutions - but the "threat" wasn't a pure phantasm, nor a product of the arms industry's lobbying.

Let me quote from the U.S. CDC again <http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/cjd/bse_cjd_qa.htm>:

>There is strong epidemiologic and laboratory evidence for a causal
>association between new variant CJD and BSE. The absence of
>confirmed cases of new variant CJD in other geographic areas free of
>BSE supports a causal association.

There seems to be a disagreement between you & the scientists here.

Doug