European protectionism

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 10:04:29 PDT 2001

In message <p05010400b6ee4ca3a094@[216.254.77.128]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes

>The USSR was a threat to U.S. domination of the world.

I can see how one might have believed that in 1956, but now that we have all seen behind the iron curtain it is patently obvious that the USSR was talked up big style. Its industry was a sick joke, and its space programme ran on clockwork. I don't doubt that the Pentagon believed its own myths of soviet danger, but the tanks were never going to roll over Western Europe - as I said, at the time.

>Let me quote from the U.S. CDC again
><http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/cjd/bse_cjd_qa.htm>:
>
>>There is strong epidemiologic and laboratory evidence for a causal
>>association between new variant CJD and BSE. The absence of
>>confirmed cases of new variant CJD in other geographic areas free of
>>BSE supports a causal association.
>
>There seems to be a disagreement between you & the scientists here.

All of your critical capacity seems to have gone. If the US treasury put out a statement saying that 'there is strong evidence for a causal association between full employment and inflation' you would be objecting straight away. If the statement went on to say that 'the absence of inflation in areas of high unemployment supports this causal association' you would be spitting feathers. But somehow, at a time when the US is lobbying for farm produce to be included under Gatt, you think that a report warning that beef from Europe will send you mad is entirely disinterested.

It didn't occur to you that phrases like

>There is strong evidence

and

>supports a causal association

are their in lieu of a stated link. Does any of the laboratory evidence explain the mechanism of cross infection?

Do you want to buy a used car?

-- James Heartfield