Hoof & Mouth vaccination

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Mon Apr 2 15:10:40 PDT 2001

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Michael Perelman wrote:

> Once an animal is vaccinated, it will test positively for the disease.

I think that there are two reasons. One is, as Michael said, a vaccinated animal will test positive on the current H&M screens. The second is that an animal which is vaccinated while infected will continue to shed virus as a carrier. (This is, for obvious reasons, even worse than an openly infected animal).

The EU made vaccination illegal for reasons of trade. If a nation is H&M-free without vaccination, it can export meat and dairy to any other nation. If it is H&M free with vaccination, some restrictions on trade are present, and if a H&M outbreak occurs H&M-free nations will bar meat and dairy products outright.

Interesting that an ancient disease is making headlines. Perhaps research enthusiasm for Hoof & Mouth will heat up accordingly.

Marco