RES: Ralph Nader's political olive branch to Bush

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 3 08:05:24 PDT 2001

Alexandre Fenelon wrote:

>-They seem to be annoyed more by Nader´s friendly stance towards Mr. Bush,
>than
>-with the article itself. For a so called leftist is somewhat difficult to
>have
>-some symphaty towards a president that conservative Brazilian newspapers
>are
>-still considering "the most rightwing US president in many years, even more
>-conservative than Ronald Reagan". How are you seeing Mr. Bush Presidency?
>The
>-WSW had been long talking about him as being a ultra rightist politician,
>with
>-close links to the Christian conservatives, while "conventional press" was
>-speaking about him as a moderate (compassionate?) conservative, close to
>center.
>-What were you expecting and what seems to be happening? For me it´s very
>difficult
>-to understand the politics of your country, since it seems to be
>essentially an
>-one party system, however, I´m feeling some difference now, as far external
>-politics is concerned....

It's a two-party system, which in some ways is a much more effective form of ideological control than a one-party system, since it gives the illusion of diversity and competition. (Cue to Nathan to tout the virtues of the Dems.) Bush Jr seems to be one of those "extra chromosome conservatives" that Maureen Dowd quoted Bush Sr as privately denouncing - and his administration is turning out to be much more right-wing than his campaign. I don't think this is playing well with the public, whatever that's worth.

I don't think Nader & Weissman were trying to curry favor with Bush - I think they were striking a political pose ("Well, you say you're opposed to government waste, so why not cut these wasteful programs?"). Yes, Ralph is a petit bourgie who idealizes small business, but that doesn't make him a Bush clone; throughout the presidential campaign, he denouced GWB as a corporation disguised as a person.

Doug