Singer's latest

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Apr 3 14:44:09 PDT 2001

Marta Russell:

Doug Henwood wrote:
> > Thanks for pointing that out. I'd wondered if the press release was a
> > joke, but it didn't have an April 1 date on it.
> >
> > Doug

Marta Russell:
> No joke. The press release was an announcement of the de-throning of
> Singer from his position at that particular animal group organization.
> Sheep, afterall, can't and don't give consent to humans to use them
> for sexual pleasure --
> so are you saying you condone having sex with animals? That would
> certainly give a new slant on farming.

>From what I heard in the U.S. Army from the farm boys, and
what I read in Kinsey, there's nothing new about having sex with animals. (There are also quite a few pictures on the Net, I believe.) Since people don't ask the animals' consent before confining, torturing, sickening, or killing them, it seems odd to require it before having sex with them, except for an animal liberation / rights type. I think most people are off that board, so their objection to having sex with animals must have another basis than lack of consent. The Old Testament, perhaps.

For the animal rights, etc., types, the question of consent actually arises. Now, many people think they can detect consent in some animals. For instance, I have two cats who both seem to understand what being picked up means to the extent of anticipating it under certain circumstances, and one appears to consent while the other doesn't. This anecdote does not mean that I have sex with my cats. But it does indicate that an animal can appear to consent to at least some social activities with humans. That being the case, those animal-rights, etc., fans who believe that an animal cannot consent to have sex with a human being need to refine their case, at least if they think it is all right for humans to socialize in any way with animals. (PETA is not included; they think even keeping pets is wrong.)

Singer, as usual, appears to be playing the contrarian. It seems like a fairly cheap shot this time; popular mores are always full of odd contradictions.