Singer's latest

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 3 14:40:47 PDT 2001

Marta Russell wrote:

>No joke. The press release was an announcement of the de-throning of
>Singer from his position at that particular animal group organization.
>Sheep, afterall, can't and don't give consent to humans to use them
>for sexual pleasure --
>so are you saying you condone having sex with animals? That would
>certainly give a new slant on farming.

That's not really what Singer's article was about. He said that humans have throughout history run rampant with animals, and we don't talk much about it. I don't think he was urging us to date sheep, and the most eye-catching example in the piece was of an orangutan who wanted to have his way with a human female, not vice versa. The orangutan didn't follow Hampshire rules.

I'm going to pick up the Verso book his piece was a review of and see what it's all about.

Doug