Singer's latest

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Apr 3 16:42:59 PDT 2001

Marta Russell:
> Gordon, while I appreciate many of your points here, I think picking
> up an animal and engaging it in sex are horses of a different color.

Of course. My point was that many people believe that some (non-human) animals can knowingly consent to becoming involved in situations and events involving human beings, in spite of the great difference in power between them. Phenomena seem to bear this out. Until proved otherwise, we can entertain the possibility that some of the situations these animals can knowingly consent to are sexual.

> As for the consent part with animals, plenty of men think women give
> their consent in rape cases, so how can an animal speak up for itself
> when the human is doing the interpreting?

A good question, but one for only vegetarians, animal rights and animal liberation types to worry about, I would think.