Singer's latest

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 3 18:52:43 PDT 2001

You are fair-minded and temperate in response, as always, even when your interlocutors don't necessarily deserve it, Marta; thanks.

If you are a consent theorist, how do you account for the basis of the obligations of those of us who are capable to consent to those that are not? I mean, the rights of children, animals, the severly cognitively disabled--those who can't consent--are better handled by Singer's utilitarianism than by any Kantian theory that makes rationality and free will the basis of their rights and our obligations. A perfectly natural Kantain response is that them as can't consent, got no rights. Singer at least would have to say, well, consent may be important insofar as its lack affects the welfare we are supposed to maximize, but it's not the main thing; welfare is. So we have to consider the welfare of the less sentient.

Btw, my friend and old classmate from days of very much yore, Guyora Binder, a law prof at SUNY Buffalo, has a very interesting piece in the current issue of the Rutgers Law Review, called Framed!, in which he argues that the old chestnut objection that utilitarians are committed to framing the innocent if that maximizes utility, and by extension, discouting the well-being of the individual, is a mistake. He says it is based on a misunderstanding of what the _political_ project of the utilitarianisms was. The piece is too long, in classic law review style, and I don't know if I agree with it, but it is important. Given your interest in the topic, yous hould read it, tell me what you think.

--jks