Singer's latest

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Tue Apr 3 19:18:45 PDT 2001

At 01:52 AM 4/4/01 +0000, Justin Schwartz wrote:
>You are fair-minded and temperate in response, as always, even when your
>interlocutors don't necessarily deserve it, Marta; thanks.

one should probably be intemperate when one has managed to pass along information that is likely meant to smear singer. one may not like singer's views, one may have severe, reasoned disagreements with him, but contributing to the kind of lying involved in that forward is not defensible.

the reason why he is being treated to this nonsense, marta, is likely because someone just doesn't like him, no? is the left, the disability movement? the animal rights movement somehow beyond reproach when it comes to slimey tactics? i think not. the press release gave a clue that i'd bet on: francionne is a contender for singer's esteem in the animal rights community.

but aside from that: as gordon's thoughtfully provacative and rather unconventional posts have been pointing out, there is some contention in the animal right's scene as to just how one is "supposed" to think about animal rights issues.

i'm sure there are similar issues in the disability rights and organizing realm. in fact, i know there are ideas that are relatively new that were once shunned as anathema and are now more common and, in fact, almost dogma as to how one ought to speak about disability issues. i'm coming up with zilch, however, when i try to recall the details of this particular discussion.

to make another analogy i'm more famaliar with, it is not unlike the HUGE debates in the GLBT community over whether sexuality is ultimately about genetics. the folks who abjure the view that we are "born that way" were often seen as heretics. the view credibility so that it's not unheard of but there are STILL strong responses from some folks who think that the position is too easily taken up by heteosexist bigots. people were and have been expelled from activist positions and so forth because they held those views or even thought them worthy of consideration.

it seems to me that Singer's utilitarian rigor has gotten him into hot water with the deep ecology folks or something? or perhaps his view is anathema to those who have a "humans as caretakers of the earth and animals" view of animal rights. don't know. not familiar with animal rights issues, but i think gordon's on to something.

kelley