Global Warming

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 6 08:19:18 PDT 2001

http://nuance.dhs.org/lbo-talk/current/index.html Justin>Public transport was pushed, it didn't fall. Most US cities 50 years ago had good public transit. The auto, rubber, and oil companies actually bought them up and in many cases, tore them out, for example, in Detroit.

And L.A. G.M. destroyed the rail line that existed in SoCal, after WWII. My step-Mom used to go from Oxnard to Santa Monica as a child. One of my teachers, Blase Bonpane http://www.officeoftheamericas.org/ , once described to our class how his Father, who had been a Judge had, to his subsequent regret been part of the judicial process that signed off on it. Maybe the early 70's book by Emma Rothschild on autos goes into this. She used to write for the NYRB but, haven't seen her byline anywhere in ages. And, I betcha, Eric Mann and his Community/Labor Strategy Center in L.A. used this to effective agitational purposes in the transit struggle a few yrs. ago. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=General+Motors +Los+Angeles+rail+line+&btnG=Google+Search Michael Pugliese