LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Fri Apr 6 08:37:34 PDT 2001

LM Doctrine:
> No car-hating is a reactionary emotion. It is a sublimated form of anti-
> working class prejudice.

Give us a bloody break.

Cars are a means of individual transportation. They are necessary and serve a useful social purpose in certain contexts. But too often, we end up using them, at least in the US, because public transportation which could be more economic, less environmentally damaging and quicker, is underdeveloped. If LM didn't fetishize individual consumption in its pseudo-libertarian world view, this would be readily apparent.

All one need do is compare the NYC and Washington DC subway systems to see how much NYC lacks in this regard. And it makes absolutely no sense that we have overcrowded airports which move people up and down the east coast on a daily commutation basis, when a decent high speed public train system could do it much better. It is part of the irrationality of American capitalism that it does not happen, and that we subsidize roads and airports with extraordinary amounts of public money, but put virtually none into trains.

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 (212-598-6869)

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass --