European Unions

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 6 10:51:04 PDT 2001

> > Yeah, you hear academics quoting Trotsky on working class militancy
>> and consciousness all the time! I remember back in grad school, you
>> heard folks in the English department lounge talking about it all the
>> time. People laughed out loud when one student said he was doing a
>> diss on Tennyson's letters. He was roundly denounced as a complicit
>> tool of the aestheticizing bourgeoisie.
>>
>> Doug
>
>I wasn't referring to your grad school, Doug. I was commenting on those here
>who, behind academy gates, plan the next step in workers' control of
>production -- preferably without consulting the workers themselves. Call me
>a boxhead, but some of the jargon on this list is beyond comprehension. Just
>who do these "radicals" think they're reaching?
>
>DP

***** The backwardness of the United State working class is only a relative term.

In very many important respects, it is the most progressive working class of the world, technically and in its standard of living....

The American workers are very combative -- as we have seen during the strikes. They have had the most rebellious strikes in the world. What the American worker misses is a spirit of generalization, or analysis, of his class position in society as a whole. This lack of social thinking has its origin in the country's whole history....

<http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/works/1944-fas.htm#p10> *****

Can you find "jargon" in the above?

Yoshie