BSE/nvCJD

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 6 13:47:55 PDT 2001

James Heartfield wrote:

>I'm still waiting to hear your views on whether you are worried about a
>disease that is as rare as being killed by lightning.

First, as I remember the LM line from a few years ago. there was no risk to humans from BSE. Clearly that's not supportable anymore, so I guess it's now downgraded to a very tiny risk.

But as with global warming, what strikes me is the complacency of this kind of thinking: because it's not an emergency today, it's nothing to worry about tomorrow or in a decade, so there's no reason to do anything to prevent disaster. But the risks are clearly enormous, and so it's sensible according to the most rigorous scientific standards of judgment to take precautionary action now, and not when half of Britain has brains resembling Swiss cheese, or when several small island countries in the Caribbean disappear under water.

Doug