The left: still dying (was Re: European Unions)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 6 23:28:32 PDT 2001

>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>I have been exposed to much theoretical hocus-pocus on this list
>>over the course of years now, and I don't see that any of this
>>strenuous obscurantism has done one whit to raise the left from its
>>moribund state. What I consider "deeply conservative" is to indulge
>>in pedantry that stands no chance whatsoever of connecting to or
>>transforming mass politics at any point. Having until recently
>>occupied a perch in the corporate world, I have, one might say, been
>>in the position of an artillery spotter. And let me tell you,
>>LBOers, *none* of the furious salvos of intensely academic
>>commentary fired off here make the slightest difference to, or are
>>even heard by, the business world.
>
>I'm not sure why the ears of "the business world" are the ones we
>should be concerned about reaching ...

Believe me, I'm not looking to executive suites as a potential source of leftist converts. I just say that if the business world sits up and takes notice that indicates the left once again has some potential. What I like best about Marx is that he was the last leftist scribbler really to scare the bejesus out of capitalists.

>1) much of what goes out on
>this list isn't obscure or obscurantist, strenuous or academic

Well, there may have been just a touch of polemical excess in my remarks.

>and 2) what do *you* think we should be talking about? ...
>
>Doug

Far be it from me to try to set the agenda around here -- I've got to go out and find a job ;-)