The left: still dying (was Re: European Unions)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 6 17:33:57 PDT 2001

Carl writes:

>What I like best about Marx is that he was the last leftist
>scribbler really to scare the bejesus out of capitalists.

You don't think, though, that Marx's ideas came to inform mass movements all over the world because _Capital_, etc. are as easy to read as Stephen King (though, compared to typical articles in scholarly journals of economics, Marx is much more accessible to the general reader).

Come to think of it, the Bible isn't a piece of cake either, but it has been a bestseller for a long time, with millions upon millions of believers spreading the word.

>This is not meant to be carping criticism. I simply feel a great
>sense of frustration because I sense that (as I commented to you
>offlist yesterday, Doug) the tide of history really is beginning to
>reverse its course of at least the past two decades, and if any real
>left continued to exist, I am certain it would have significant
>opportunities for advancement in the near future. As things stand
>now, however, it doesn't, so it won't.

We got to organize, whilst overcoming professions of anti-intellectualism common among intellectuals like you & Dennis.
:-)

Yoshie