Cali power crisis

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sat Apr 7 16:16:10 PDT 2001

According to Public Citizen, some of our private utilities took generators off line and this is going to be investigated. Seems there is suspicion that some plants were taken off line for manipulation purposes rather than mechanical or other types of failures. There are several power plants being constructed now in CA (with tax payer dollars?) Since LA's public DWP isn't one of the private utilities owing money to all these outside power corps (its got enough generating power) and we've more or less been the exception to what is going on in the rest of the state, it would seem that it would be wise of the state to buy out the bankrupt PG&E, build more power generators and take over the entire utility management. Davis doesn't do this because according to Public Citizen, the private utilities have contributed heavily to his political treasure chest.

Marta