Euro-court outlaws criticism of EU

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 00:12:36 PDT 2001

--- Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net> wrote: > http://www.google.com/search?q=The+Rotten+Heart+of+Europe.&btnG=Google+Searc

> Euro-court outlaws criticism of EU
> By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard in Brussels
>
> THE European Court of Justice ruled yesterday that the
> European Union
> can lawfully suppress political criticism of its institutions
> and of
> leading figures, sweeping aside English Common Law and 50
> years of
> European precedents on civil liberties.

This is pretty dishonest reporting even by the standards of the Telegraph. Since the article quotes Mr Connolly repeatedly criticising the EU in pretty vitriolic terms, one might be forgiven for wondering why he hasn't been chucked in the clanger, if the ECJ has *really* outlawed criticism of the EU.

The answer is that, it hasn't. Connolly's actual case was an employment one, relating to the fact that he was sacked from his job as a senior economist working for the Commission for publishing a book called "The Rotten Heart of Europe" which called his employer a bunch of corrupt bastards. I think that this fact really ought to have been mentioned in the article ....

dd

===== "Never trust a man who doesn't drink Though he's less likely to throw up in your sink For I'd rather be half plastered Than a blue-nosed wowser bastard So never trust a man who doesn't drink" -- Barry Humphries