Scarcity

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Apr 9 04:30:39 PDT 2001

Justin Schwartz:
> Sahlins argues athat hunter-gatherers worked a few hours a day and spent
> the rest of the time telling stories and hanging out, not a bad life (as
> long as there wasn't a famine or drought). The Sahlins argument is a
> favorite among the Live Simply crowd, who think that we can eliminate
> scarcity by reducing our wants. Theoretically, this is true. It is of course
> _profoundly_ anti-Marxist, for those of you who care about such things; Marx
> praised capitalism for its creation of nrew wants and needs. He thought that
> communism would be better than capitalsim at satisfyting these things. Me, I
> don't know. But I do know that the genie is out of the bottle. Short of a
> cataclysmic disaster, we will never be hunter-gathereras, and anyone who
> davocates reducing (as opposed to, say, rearranging) our needs and wants,
> will find a cold audience from contemprary workers an oppressed people.

On the other hand, it's clear that in a finite universe unlimited need / desire will eventually (probably sooner rather than later) meet insurmountable obstacles, so that regardless of the system under which people organize themselves, they will find themselves frustrated and needy. I would guess also that, in order to maximize their ability to wring goods, services and powers out of their environment, there will be a strong susceptibility toward wringing goods, services and powers out of one another as well, so that freedom, equality and peace, the program of the Left as I see it, will have to be set aside in favor of a totalitarian quest for more for the sake of more.

This was why I suggested differentiating "needs" by what drove them, instead of simplifying the choice as one between rank primitivism and unlimited technological and industrial aggression, both of which appear to me to be rhetorical chimerae -- or perhaps I should say sirens, since beside being mythical they're evidently stunningly attractive.