Scarcity

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Apr 9 05:05:03 PDT 2001

>>What do you think of Marshall Sahlins' argument?
>>
>>***** The Original Affluent Society
>>

>Sahlins argues athat hunter-gatherers worked a few hours a day and
>spent the rest of the time telling stories and hanging out, not a
>bad life (as long as there wasn't a famine or drought). The Sahlins
>argument is a favorite among the Live Simply crowd, who think that
>we can eliminate scarcity by reducing our wants. Theoretically, this
>is true. It is of course _profoundly_ anti-Marxist, for those of you
>who care about such things; Marx praised capitalism for its creation
>of nrew wants and needs. He thought that communism would be better
>than capitalsim at satisfyting these things. Me, I don't know. But I
>do know that the genie is out of the bottle. Short of a cataclysmic
>disaster, we will never be hunter-gathereras, and anyone who
>davocates reducing (as opposed to, say, rearranging) our needs and
>wants, will find a cold audience from contemprary workers an
>oppressed people.
>
>--jks

We will never be hunter-gatherers, to be sure, but will we remain Shoppaholics Anonymous under communism as well?

Pre-capitalist peoples experienced wants created by the pre-capitalist modes of production; and we have unlimited wants & therefore scarcity created by the capitalist mode of production with its drive of M-C-M' -- "Accumulate, accumulate! that is Moses and the prophets!" Will communism not create wants in a manner different from capitalism, since under communism we presumably won't have the same Moses & prophets as capitalism's?

Yoshie