Euro-court outlaws criticism of EU

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 03:57:55 PDT 2001

I've met Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, son of the celebrated anthropologist, who though definitely Tory is not a naturally dishonest man. Certainly the article puts a spin on the judgement (by way of an exaggerated drawing out of the consequences), but nonetheless it is a pretty poor judgement, that indicates the authoritarian instincts of the Commission as regards democratic scrutiny. The British government, too, often hides behind employment law in the suppression of whistle-blowers like Peter Wright, Richard Tomlinson et al - former security agents driven to spill the beans on the country's rotten dealings. Sarah Tisdall, I recall, was jailed for alerting CND to the siting of American Cruise Missiles on British soil on the grounds of breach of her contract (having been required to sign the official secrets act).

In message <20010409071236.11716.qmail at web5505.mail.yahoo.com>, Daniel Davies <d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk> writes