Scarcity

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 9 11:19:52 PDT 2001

Did Sartre's argument in Critique of Dialectical Reason over the practico-inert and the descent into Stalinism have a side argument about scarcity? And remember Trotsky's argument that scarcity inelectably leads to a repressive apparatus that has to police those bread lines. Given the pre-super computer age that Soviet planning had to exist in, how to balance and abjudicate the conflicting levels of immediate social need and long term infrastructure building, was something that overlaid with the vanguard substitutionism, was bound to lead to disaster. Even w/o the inevitable pressure of imperialism. All those inputs and outputs, not having a set of democratic mechanisms, 'er popular, participatory feed-back loop (cyberneticoid reification I know but don't wanna glide close to idealist, utopian Albert/Hahnel zone!), the atrocious level of waste and low grade quality of production, the production quota statistical mirror games (reminiscent of those kill ratios of the US Army vs. the VC/NLF, (and yes we killed 2.8 million Vietnamese, making allusion to Westmoreland [Waste More Land, cf., "These people don't feel the same pain we do, " in Hearts & Minds doc. '75 Oscar winner]

Vs. 60 Minutes), the endemic trimphalist falsity of the Ideology of the regime vs. the realities, were clear to most Soviet citizens by the late 60's.Did the short circuited reforms of Khruschev's economists in the early 60's have a chance before Brezhnev et. al. turned the clock back... Michael Pugliese, disjointed musings...