And Eric Wolf too?

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Mon Apr 9 12:50:55 PDT 2001

The following are some of the best collections in Marxist anthropology:

_Relations of production: Marxist approaches to economic anthropology_ edited by David Seddon; translated by Helen Lackner. Published London: Cass; [Totowa, N.J.: distributed by Biblio Distribution Centre], 1978.

_The Anthropology of pre-capitalist societies_ edited by Joel S. Kahn and Josep R. Llobera. Published London: Macmillan Press, 1981.

_Marxist analyses and social anthropology_, edited by Maurice Bloch. Published New York: Wiley [1975].

See also the work of Godelier, Meillassoux, Terray, Rey, Dupre, Bonte, Coquery-Vidrovitch, Jonathan Friedman, Donald L. Donham, Samir Amin, V. Mudimbe, Copans, Rayna Rapp, Teodor Shanin, William Roseberry, Peter Worsley.

Yes I read the Wolf book a number of years ago and also used chapters of it in courses I've taught on International Economics and African History. He also has a slim volume on Peasants. I'm not as crazy about the Wolf book, although it was extremely important in its time. For an interesting critique (and also an otherwise interesting book) see Peter Gran's _Beyond Eurocentrism_. He is actually critical of the whole core-periphery paradigm and also works that use "global capitalism" as the reference point. I am not in total agreement with him, but I think some of his points are well taken. My favorite is still Rodney's _How Europe Underdeveloped Africa_.

And let's not forget Jim Blaut!

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Pugliese [mailto:debsian at pacbell.net] Sent: Monday, April 09, 2001 1:00 PM To: ForstaterM at umkc.edu Subject: And Eric Wolf too?

See Stanley Diamond, Peter Rigby, Walter Rodney.

Mat

Read his Peasant Wars of the 20th C. long ago. You ever read his _Europe: Or the Peoples W/O a History ??? If so can you synopsize. In college I used to glance through Dialectical Anthropogy. That journal still around? Michael