redeploying server farms

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Mon Apr 9 13:37:01 PDT 2001

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Doug Henwood wrote:
> Really? Can a server farm be redeployed so easily?

Yes and no. Companies are often searching for spare capacity, and companies with farms on which they have capacity frequently sell their extra cycles. This was fairly common in the mainframe era, especially with the ability to run programs on a separate virtual machine (hence vm), without touching or threatening other users' programs.

Note that we're talking here about a real server farm operation, not a repurposed workstation. Windows NT need not apply; these are high-availability, Unix and mainframe operations.

> And if the problem
> is just too much capacity, what good is redeployment?

You've got me there. My guess is that Brad was referring to overinvestment within a single industry or market niche, hence his chemical plant metaphor.

Marco