redeploying server farms

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Mon Apr 9 13:46:10 PDT 2001

This paragraph appears in a story by Anya Schiffrin in The Industry Standard:

>"Our new-economy capital stock is more flexible and so much less

>vulnerable to the over-investment trap," says [Brad] DeLong. "A

>chemical factory can only be used to make chemicals. But a server

>farm and its fiber-optic cables can be used to organize and control

>any component of the economy." If so, the economy this year will

>finally show just how new it really is.

Really? Can a server farm be redeployed so easily? And if the problem

is just too much capacity, what good is redeployment?

Chemical factories can definitely be used to [dis]organize and control major components of the economy, ask any "terrorist".

Ian