Scarcity

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 11 11:30:55 PDT 2001

>As I recall the conservative French commnentator Raymond Aron
was among the first to note Sartre's reliance upon what were essentially Hobbesian premises.

Jim F.

Given the full scale assault on Sartre in his previous book (and being a fan of well written polemical assaults on heros...though, heh, I'll doubt I'll ever read a book on Karl Marx and Satanism by Robert Wurmbrand, "Marx and Satan, " http://www.google.com/search?client=googlet&q=Marx%20and%20Satan%20 course it is bound to be atrociously sourced and argued!!!...), "Past Imperfect, " I picked up the newish book by Judt at the library the other day. Surprisingly critical of the latter stage of Aron's career, esp. the autobiography and the book Jim Farmelant alludes to, "History and the Dialectic of Violence, " out of print, I think from Harper & Row.

"The Burden of Responsibility : Blum, Camus, Aron, and the French Twentieth Century by Tony Judt." http://www.nybooks.com/nyrev/WWWsrch.cgi?form=all+articles&auth=Tony+Judt&ti tle=&rauth=&rtitle=&rpub=&text=&sdate=all+dates&edate=all+dates&details=Sear ch

BTW, a more objective look at the same figures examined in Past Imperfect is a book by S. Collini, published by either Oxford U.P.or Cambridge U.P.. Title is something like, "Arguing the Revoltion: The French Intellectual Left. http://www.informinc.co.uk/LM/LM50/LM50_Books.html ('Anti-intellectualism has always been available on tap in the saloon bar, of course, but it is sad to find a professor of English who is so desperately keen to buy his round.' (S Collini, Times Higher Educational Supplement, 17 July 1992)

And, another book unfortunately o.p. but, available online is by Mark Poster. http://www.hnet.uci.edu/mposter/EM/ "Existential Marxism in Postwar France." For those like me that have had, "Adventures of the Dialectic, " by Merlau-Ponty for at least 15 yrs. and have not read more than the chapter, "Sartre and Ultra-Bolshevism, " it is a great intellectual, history and critique, of Sartre, Merlau-Ponty, Lefebvre, Lefort, Castoriadis. Michael Pugliese

P.S. Jeffrey Herf, author of, "Reactionary Modernism, " and, "Divided Germany: The Nazi Past in the Two Germany's ", http://www.hup.harvard.edu/reviews/HERDIV_R.html also has written on Aron. Herf, though with subsequent misgivings (I e-mailed him on Horowitz some time back, he has qualms on Horowitz'es ethics and politics), as a SDS activist, participated in the "Second Thoughts" conference of Horowitz and Collier back in the Reagan era. His paper is either in a volume edited by John Bunzel of neo-connery, " Political Passages: Journeys of Change through Two Decades, 1968–1988, " http://www-hoover.stanford.edu/BIOS/bunzel.html or the collection of the Second Thoughts speeches that wewre published later by Horowitz and Collier. http://www.frontpagemag.com/archives/leftism/herf.htm " I was so wrong and now I'll be as arrogant as I was before on the other side of the barricades...." (what was the phrase of Isaac Deutscher reviewing Orwell? Inverted Stalinism? The Stalinism of the anti-Stalinists? see the Verso volume, Marxism, Wars and Revolutions, I'm too pressed for time to get the quote...) Few more cites in the bibliomania, "Logics of failed revolt :French theory after May '68, " by Peter Starr, Stanford U.P. (Maybe I'll be able to understand Kristeva? Found her book on Melancholia, a great read. "On Abjection.") "French Philosophy of the Sixties: An Essay on Antihumanism, "

Luc Ferry and A. Renaut. (see also, "New Ecological Order, " by Luc Ferry and his, "We Are Not Nietzcheans!" both from Univ. of Chicago Press. New Left Six Critical Essays On Che

Maurice Ed Cranston (from www.powells.com website, there are some howlers on the spelling there powells!~ anyway, Cranston used to write for Encounter, the CCF CIA rag, is the book on them from the New Press ever gonna appear in paperback, 'sez I?) New Negro, Old Left: African-American Writing and Communism Between the Wars

William J Maxwell